Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hexagon Delight

I am just delighted with Hexagon quilts! I am having so much fun! Well, so far that is. I found a sketch sheet like graph paper on paperpieces.com and made a design for my quilt. Now, being a very VERY simple design I'm sure there may be a quilt out there somewhere like this. All I know is that I doodled on the graph paper, and this is what I came up with, so this is my design. If you happen to have designed one like this... great. I'm not selling my design, I just designed it with my own lil mind. Here is my picture.
Now if you look at the little section that I have outlined in the black marker, this little pattern repeats throughout the whole quilt.

I found a fantastic template to use on http://www.texasfreckles.com/2010/03/hexagon-charm-quilt-piece-along.html She has a fantastic site and a great resource for hexagons. It has really helped me build enough confidence to get started on this project.

I used some cardstock that I had left over from years ago when I ran a home daycare. It can be purchased at a paper supply store like Staples or Office Depot along with the reams of paper. It is just a bit sturdier and so I will be able to use them over and over again. I printed off the templates (I chose the 1 1/2") from texasfreckles.com. I then punched two holes in them with a paper punch. I just used a hand style paper punch and got it as far as it would reach, and as close to center as I could by eyeballing it. They came out pretty consistently.
I am using those two holes to pin my template onto my rectangles of fabric. I cut my rectangles of fabric just over 1/4" larger than the template. I showed you two pinned templates. One is pinned on the outer edge of the holes. One is pinned on the inside edge of the holes. I suggest using the outer edges of the holes.

As you can see on the lower right hexagon I was easily able to slide the hexagon that was pinned on the inner edges of the holes. I found the outer edges of the holes worked much better. I also showed a picture of the pins that I used. On the left is a regular push pin (this did not work it was too short). I used the quilters pin on the right as it was perfect for reaching from one hole to the next.

1 comment:

  1. What is it with hexies they seem to be everywhere since I started doing them I see them everywhere LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are very much appreciated and always read. Word verification was necessary due to form feed comments. So Sorry!