Well, I tried.. I guess it is important to even show our failures. I had intended to attach the tan border to my quilt. First I cut my border strip at 2" then I folded it in half and ironed it to mark the center point. I matched up the points to the ironed line.. (here is where I made my mistake.. I didn't pin it all the way. I just figured I could eyeball it.
I chose the blanket stitch to stitch it on, but because I didn't pin it all on with all of the back and forth on the machine to do the stitch, it ended up with a LOT of puckering after I ironed it and I really did NOT like how it looked If you look at the third picture I am sure you can see the puckering.. I was very disappointed. All of the hand stitching I had done was delightful.. and then the machine stitching looked terrible. I couldn't leave it looking like this. I knew that I had a date.. a date with my seam ripper. A whole day!! SEW.. I slept on it and formulated a new plan.
These are the side points that I did not want on my quilt.. the problem points.
I decided to fold the hexagon in half, matching the points all the way down the side, and press it with the iron. I basted it with just UNDER a 1/4" seam so that when I add the binding, it will not show. Now I need to trim off the excess hexagon portion on the back.. and the front now looks like THIS.. on the sides.. much improved!!