Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hexagons COMPLETE...

I am thrilled to report and show that I stitched my last hexagon (well.. on this quilt).
Note my little helper.
Now you are looking at it sideways.. but I am still not finished. I have to add something to the sides (what you see as the top and bottom). I am adding a light brown portion so it will look like a wooden flower bed edge. Those two sides are not straight edges. I will use the same fabric as a binding on the quilt. I have white to use as the backing however I cannot just use white.. boring!! I am also going to do some red and green (and perhaps some yellow) blocking in a 1 foot section across a portion on the bottom. Then I will quilt the whole thing. When it is bound and almost done.. I will take what will be the turn down portion of the back. (You know the part you see of the back when you turn it down on your bed). I am going to applique a little design on that as well. So that is the plan for my quilt in the future.. wish me luck!!

Oh, one more note... I bought some spray on basting and a tarp to spray baste the quilt. I am going to pin baste it as well since I am hand quilting it and I don't know how long that spray baste will stay put. I have never used it before and I don't want this sucker to move an inch! I am just spray basting it to make SURE it stays put!

7 comments:

  1. It turned out to be beautiful! When I could still hand quilt (tendonitis stopped that) I used the spray basting all the time. It will stay put for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! Great job!!! I love your little helper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is very beautiful. I spray baste my quilts also sometimes. And it stays a long time. One of my quilts I handquilted 2 years after spraybasting. But I always baste with thread around the quilt to secure the outside border. I hope you can understand my poor english. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. What an accomplishment. Keep showing pictures as you get the borders on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!!! I can sure appreciate the amount of work and time that went into this quilt. I love hand sewing! Looking forward to the next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! I've never worked with hexies. The hand work scares me and truly, I don't understand the process but that quilt looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are very much appreciated and always read. Word verification was necessary due to form feed comments. So Sorry!